Advice for Candidates
Applying to Member Competitions
Each Member Competition has its own regulations, so each application process will be unique. However, there are a few basic considerations to keep in mind when you are applying to a competition.
- The very first step: get all the required materials (brochures, application forms) from the competition. You can find the WFIMC Member Competitions by clicking this link.
- Read these materials completely yourself. Don't depend on third-party information.
- If you have a question or something is unclear, telephone or e-mail the competition and ask for clarification before you fill out and send your materials.
- If a recording is required, be sure to record exactly what the competition requires (correct works recorded in the correct order at the correct time). Aim for the most professional standard possible. Before you send it, check the CD or DVD on a different computer or player, to make sure that the material is correctly recorded and can be read with any standard player. Label the recording clearly with your name and the works recorded. Pack the recording carefully and bubble wrap to protect it.
- If a photograph is required, choose a good-quality portrait (not a snapshot, not a passport photo unless one is specifically requested). Make sure you have the rights to the photograph so that the competition can use it in its materials without paying an additional fee. A high-quality digital photograph with a paper copy is especially welcome.
- If letters of recommendation are required, make certain you provide exactly what is requested (usually letters written especially for the competition near the time of application).
- Many Competitions now use an online application system. You can view more advice about recording your audition via this video posted by the WFIMC partner audition sponsor, Acceptd.
Upcoming Application Deadlines
Entering a WFIMC Member Competition is an excellent step for a prepared musician. It is important to research the procedure and timeline before submitting an application. Follow the links below to find the upcoming deadlines for applications.